SEAI Grant for External Wrap Insulation


The scheme is available to homeowners, private landlords, To qualify for a grant you must:

  • Be the owner of a property built and occupied before 2011 for insulation, heating control systems and renewable systems grants
  • Have a home with a BER of B3 or lower before the work
  • Reach a BER of at least B2 after the work and have a BER improvement of 100kWh/m2 per year
  • Not have already used grants for the same energy upgrades
  • Use an SEAI registered company to manage the process, work and application

Step 1: Contact us to arrange a house visit to give you a FREE, no obligation, consultation just phone: 0866027964or or use the contact form

Step 2: Locate your Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN), This number is generally located at the top of your Electricity Supplier Bill, and is 11 digits long.


Step 3: Go to the SEAI grant application wizard website and click the home owner button. have your mprn number ready. it takes about 5 mins to complete.



Step 4: fill in form and when you get to the insulation grants, select external  insulation, you need to enter a registered contractor type  ENERGY RETROFIT IRELAND 17645 in the box.

Step 5: SEAI will approve the grant within a few minutes. check your email account. On completion of the work, you pay minus the sum of the home insulation grant.


Get Expert Advice about External Wall Insulation

We're here to help you achieve an energy efficient, cost-effective home. Please enter your details below and a member of our team will call you back to discuss your project, answer your questions and advise you on what grants are available to you.

Contact Us

external wall insulation efi-certs-header


General Advice 

Applying for an external wall insulation grant through the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI) website can be broken down into a few steps:

  1. Energy Upgrade First, decide on the energy upgrades you wish to carry out. For external wall insulation, ensure your home was built before 2006 to be eligible for the grant. Also, check if your home has previously received a grant for an energy upgrade or has an existing Building Energy Rating (BER). If you are unsure about the upgrades, consider a BER assessment for tailored advice.
  2. Find a Registered Contractor: You must use an SEAI registered contractor for the work. You can find a list of registered contractors on the SEAI's website. It's recommended to get quotes from multiple contractors to ensure you receive the best price and service. The contractor will also advise if an ESB Networks Service Alteration is required for the safe installation of external wall insulation.
  3. Apply for the Grant: Once you've selected a contractor and are ready to proceed, you can fill out the application form on the SEAI's website. The grant amounts awarded for external wall insulation depend on the type of home, with up to €8,000 available for detached houses, €6,000 for semi-detached or end of terrace houses, and €3,000 for apartments or mid-terrace houses.

Remember, a Building Energy Rating (BER) assessment must be undertaken after the grant-aided works are completed, for which you can also receive funding as part of your grant application provided you meet the conditions​​​​​​.

For more detailed guidelines and to start your application, visit the SEAI's official website.